Saturday, December 8, 2012

Breakfast Ideas

I love breakfast. I cannot start my day without breakfast. I'm seriously amazed when people tell me they don't eat breakfast, seriously how do they get by? It gives me energy, wakes me up, gets my metabolism going, etc. My go-to breakfast is eggs, I usually eat a lot of protein for breakfast so this is always an easy answer. But I will admit, eating eggs day after day gets a little boring. So I try to mix it up every now and then. I recently found this recipe on a blog I follow and thought I'd give it a shot.


Egg Whites and Broccoli Rice Cups


Recipe courtesy of Six Sisters Blog


I altered the recipe just a tad, see below with my version.

2 Cups Brown Minute Rice
1 Cup Water
2 bunches fresh Broccoli cut into small pieces
3/4 Cup shredded low fat mozzarella, separated
1/4 Cup Hidden Valley low fat Ranch
4 Egg Whites
Salt and Pepper to taste

Directions:
Prepare rice as directed on package. Place cooked rice in a large bowl and let cool slightly. Add the remaining ingredients, using only 1/2 cup of the cheese, and stir until combined. Transfer mixture to eleven well-greased muffin cups (I used a 12 cup muffin tin and only filled 11 of them). Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese. Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees or until tops are lightly browned and edges are starting to get crispy.

I figured the calories on these, which are 88 calories per cup, pop two of these in the microwave for a quick and healthy breakfast. I like to spice things up so topped with hot sauce. They were delish!




Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment